Skip to main content

The Gamble of Packing

It's been a minute, or two. Oh wait, it's been over two months! I have been traveling around Europe, as I promised, and this experience has been so absolutely amazing. 
Before I left, I did a little bit of research on traveling, but definitely not enough. I saw the phrase 'Pack Light' a million times. But how do I pack light for 3 months? Especially knowing that the weather will be anywhere between 55/rain and 100/humid. I have never experienced that much of a difference in climate, in such short period of time, therefore I was so overwhelmed with packing, that I just kept on putting everything in the bag.  By the time it was time to leave, my bag was around 35 pounds. But wait, I also decided that I need a rolling bag, which was around 11 pounds, and a small backpack around 4 pounds. So here I am with 50 pounds in my back , without a single clue of what I'm getting myself into.




Within the first week I was ready to ditch 20 pounds of clothes because I realized that I overpacked by about 40 pounds. That is when I realized that I really don't need a sweater in 5 different colors, nor do I need the 20 shirts that I brought in case I want a different color. I don't need 3 pairs of jeans and 3 pairs of leggings, 10 different dresses and 5 different bathing suits. I felt so guilty having all these options, while some poor kid on the street doesn't even have one sweater. Since a lot of the stuff I packed was practically new I felt really bad ditching it, and after many attempts to send it back failed (due to the international rate of shipping packages being too much), I decided to just suck it up and deal with the weight. Now, almost 2 months into my travels I hate my bag more than ever before.



So let me just say: if you're planning on traveling for longer than 2 weeks, or hopping cities every 3-4 days, you do not want a variety of jeans, NO MATTER WHAT. You also don't want 10 dresses, even if you absolutely love them all and 'you think' you will want them all, you won't. You also don't need 4 black hoodies, one will do the job. 
If you're backpacking, packing light is the one of biggest challenges, but here are my tips to avoid hating your life. Pack only one pair of jeans and one hoodie/sweater, 2 pairs of short ( one can be your everyday and the other one can be a nice pair to go out in), 2 or 3 t shirts and 2 or 3 tank tops. 2 dresses is plenty! One for the beach, one to go out. 2 bathing suits is one too many, especially for Europe. Almost everyone is topless any ways. Pack important things like a towel and a small/ foldable blanket. First aid kit! And of course shower stuff. A few pairs of socks and  undies, 2 bras at most and one thing I found very comfy are sports bras, so if anything pack 3 of those, they take no room and are very convenient. One pair of heels, one pair of flip flops/flat and one pair of tennis shoes. 1 jacket: best to find a cute one that's also semi warm and even better if it's water proof. If your bag is still less than 10 pounds add one thing u haven't taken for example a skirt or a sweater (thin, you don't need a warm one, you already have a hoodie and a jacket). Now this time if your bag is under 10 pounds, so be it. Stop packing. You will be okay. 
As far as packing for guys, I can't tell you much... Never packed for one. But if you go to Rick Steve's  web page you will find many tips!
https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/packing-light
 Steve is the man! 
This trip made me realize a few important things about life, and made me appreciate the smallest things a lot of people don't. Or at least it seems like it. For example, back home I have wifi everywhere, even places I don't want to have it sometimes. 99% of places will take ur credit card no matter what and u almost never need to worry about cash. No matter what I have a home where I have a bed and I don't have to worry about being 'homeless'. I have a car and I can get anywhere I want, whenever that may be. This trip made me realize the importance of the smallest things that Iam used to at home and don't even acknowledge how valuable they are in my life. 
Any who, in about a month I will be back in the states. I'm looking forward to making some changes in my life. But for now 
Stay Classy My Friends! 
Ciao

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting back into it...

Hell my fellow followers and friends. I have been out of touch for the longest time, but I never stopped thinking about my blog. I have so many great subjects to talk about, and I can't wait to share them with you. First and foremost, I want to thank everyone for still visiting my page even when I wasn't updating it. It's so amazing to see the page views grow daily! Second I will be adding some new subjects, like health and health issues, to my blog. And lastly I will reverse the time back a little so I can tell you about my amazing summer and it's adventures! So I want to start by sharing my first experience bungee jumping! My friend wanted to do that for her birthday and I never really had the wish to go bungee...But I changed my mind almost last minute and decided to go! OH MY GOD, let me tell you, the adrenaline rush is UNREAL! If you ever have a chance to do it, trust me you will not regret! It takes some commitment to jump, but if you just force your mind t

Icelandic Adventures

The Land of Ice awaits my arrival. Or so, I hope. I have dreamt of this for a long time. I'm so beyond excited to explore, yet another country. In just 11 short days, I will be getting on the plane, to depart for Iceland. I have so many things on my list that I would love to see, but so little time. With only 7 full days there, I'm torn to have to pick and choose which places I will have to miss this time. This trip is filled with exciting activities I've never done. I will be talking about each activity in a separate post after I experience it.  Iceland offers some of the most spectacular sceneries: endless waterfalls, volcanos, icebergs, farm houses, natural lagoons/hot-springs, ice caves just to name a few.  I’m also excited for the weather change. To wear a jacket, and gloves and a hat. Living in Florida for the passed 10 months made me really appreciate a little bit of that crisp air. I have been wearing nothing but dresses, so I’m excited for some la

The South Coast of Iceland

Iceland! The land of so much more than ice. Volcanoes, canyons, countless waterfalls and wind that will blow you away, literally. Although the ice was practically non-existent, or at least the parts of the country that I encountered. The one place we did find ice it was absolutely, without a doubt, my favorite part of the trip. Never have I ever seen that kind of beauty. It’s a different kind of beauty than, say Bali (which is definitely my favorite place on earth), yet it was magical. The views were absolutely stunning. Something that didn’t even make sense to me was these huge blocks of ice we saw. They have been there for hundreds of years, and have never melted away. However, it’s not freezing and there is no snow. The water isn’t frozen! I’m so curious about how and why this is even possible? The ice was literally blue! So unreal.   Follow me on instagram for more images  @laasbella Stop number one: Diamond Beach Stop number two: Glacier Lagoon Diamond Beach Glac