Skip to main content

The South Coast of Iceland

Iceland! The land of so much more than ice. Volcanoes, canyons, countless waterfalls and wind that will blow you away, literally.

Although the ice was practically non-existent, or at least the parts of the country that I encountered. The one place we did find ice it was absolutely, without a doubt, my favorite part of the trip. Never have I ever seen that kind of beauty. It’s a different kind of beauty than, say Bali (which is definitely my favorite place on earth), yet it was magical. The views were absolutely stunning. Something that didn’t even make sense to me was these huge blocks of ice we saw. They have been there for hundreds of years, and have never melted away. However, it’s not freezing and there is no snow. The water isn’t frozen! I’m so curious about how and why this is even possible? The ice was literally blue! So unreal.  
Follow me on instagram for more images @laasbella
Stop number one: Diamond Beach
Stop number two: Glacier Lagoon
Diamond Beach
Glacier Lagoon


Glacier Lagoon 

Glacier Lagoon

PanoramicView of Glacier Lagoon  


Glacier Lagoon


Both the Diamond beach and the Glacier Lagoon are located with in minutes of each other, and just about 2 and half hours away from Vik. Vik worked out best for us because of the previous day's stops/activities. It was one of the bigger cities along the south coast drive, which means more options for hotels and restaurants. Hotel Kria was my home for the night, which is a new hotel in the area. It’s very modern and grand. I loved the decor and it's architecture. Breakfast with a view was included with the rate, which was great since we had to get on a road early to make all the stops we wanted to. I collaborated with Kria to offer you a discount for your stay from January through May AND October through December 2019. That is 8 months of stay to chose from! Here is how you can book. Simply email Hotelkria@hotelkria.is with a code Winter19 and mention this blog. https://www.hotelkria.is/ Their prices are very competitive as it is, but when traveling to Iceland,  no savings can be enough. The Code expires January 2019, book soon! 


For those are still shaping their itinerary, this was mine. It was a full day of exploration, so if you are looking for something that will keep you busy all day here it is. https://goo.gl/8Bakvd

Stop number three: Svartifoss



Stop number four: Fjadrargljufur Canyon







Both the waterfall and the Canyon require some walking. The waterfall was about a 20 minute walk from the parking lot. A fairly easy, enjoyable and gorgeous walk.
The canyon is a walk itself. It was majestic. It was breathtaking. It was peaceful. It's about a 30 minute walk in and out.  

I loved my entire trip; every stop, every waterfall, every city, all of it. If I made a new itinerary today, I wouldn’t take out a single stop. However, I wouldn't do the whale watching tour. We were really busy exploring every possible landmark during our trip. We would check in late at night and leave early mornings to continue on our coastal journey.  But that’s exactly how I love to travel. I love to explore places and I love seeing as much as I can during my time in each new destination. It’s exhausting, but so worth it.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Icelandic Adventures

The Land of Ice awaits my arrival. Or so, I hope. I have dreamt of this for a long time. I'm so beyond excited to explore, yet another country. In just 11 short days, I will be getting on the plane, to depart for Iceland. I have so many things on my list that I would love to see, but so little time. With only 7 full days there, I'm torn to have to pick and choose which places I will have to miss this time. This trip is filled with exciting activities I've never done. I will be talking about each activity in a separate post after I experience it.  Iceland offers some of the most spectacular sceneries: endless waterfalls, volcanos, icebergs, farm houses, natural lagoons/hot-springs, ice caves just to name a few.  I’m also excited for the weather change. To wear a jacket, and gloves and a hat. Living in Florida for the passed 10 months made me really appreciate a little bit of that crisp air. I have been wearing nothing but dresses, so I’m excited for some la

Wink Wink...

There is a reason I go by Lala Koala... I love to sleep. On my days off I sleep on average of 13 hours a day.. not quite as much as a koala but pretty damn close.  The reason I chose this picture is because I do not know how to wink! :(  However I'm learning to and one day I'm hoping to post a picture of me winking. But for now enjoy the koala.  Be safe everyone, and Stay Classy :)

Getting back into it...

Hell my fellow followers and friends. I have been out of touch for the longest time, but I never stopped thinking about my blog. I have so many great subjects to talk about, and I can't wait to share them with you. First and foremost, I want to thank everyone for still visiting my page even when I wasn't updating it. It's so amazing to see the page views grow daily! Second I will be adding some new subjects, like health and health issues, to my blog. And lastly I will reverse the time back a little so I can tell you about my amazing summer and it's adventures! So I want to start by sharing my first experience bungee jumping! My friend wanted to do that for her birthday and I never really had the wish to go bungee...But I changed my mind almost last minute and decided to go! OH MY GOD, let me tell you, the adrenaline rush is UNREAL! If you ever have a chance to do it, trust me you will not regret! It takes some commitment to jump, but if you just force your mind t